[Air-L] Ethics and Facebook Research?

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:18:14 PST 2009

Hi Jessica, all,

FWIW, here's my reply to Angela, with a copy to Elizabeth Buchanan and Heidi
McKee:
==
the AoIR ethics statement is currently under revision - in part, precisely
so as to focus on the ethical issues that emerge with SNSs, games, blogging,
etc.  Elizabeth Buchanan is chair of that committee and may be able to
report on recent progress - she'll know if anyone does.

In the meantime, Heidi McKee and James Porter have a _terrific_ book with
Peter Lang coming out soon, _ The Ethics of Internet Research: A Rhetorical,
Case-based Process_, that includes a chapter on "Researching Blogs, Chats,
Discussion Forums, and Social Networking Sites."  I don't know how much of
that Heidi and Jim can share with you at this stage, but I recommend you get
in touch with them to ask.
==

For my part, I'm working up a presentation on "Facebook and Ethics:
Preliminary Issues, Possible Frameworks and Resolutions" as part of a
workshop on "Cultures of Facebook," a seminar organized by Anja Bechmann and
the Centre for Internet Research, Department of Information and Media
Studies, Aarhus University - see:
<http://www.cfi.au.dk/arrangementer/2009/1117>.
As usual, I'll be happy to share slides and notes - a good portion of which
will draw from the McKee & Porter text, as well as from recent work by
Michael Zimmer and other contributors and participants at this year's
preconference workshop on Internet research ethics.

Hope this helps!
- charles ess

Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23