[Air-l] Gopher, RIP?

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Aug 21 09:47:59 PDT 2001

At 08:55 AM 8/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
>It's the start of the semester and my new media class begins with a history
>of the Internet and the various programs and functions which make it up
>(most students only think of the Web and e-mail and perhaps instant
>messaging). As I was putting materials together (always a bit of
>archeological work, it seems), I was wondering if anyone knew of any gopher
>sites that are still active? I know Minnesota as a very minimal gopher site
>still active, as does UIC, but neither includes the "Other Gopher Servers of
>the World" option. Does anyone still use Gopher? I can see how it could
>still be a very useful technology if computing power and bandwidth are an
>issue (and for many it is).

gopher://gopher.tc.umn.edu:70/11/Other%20Gopher%20and%20Information%20Servers
does have a bunch of other gopher sites. very few of them are actually
alive though.  I know we don't have a main gopher on campus anymore, just
the departmental ones.

there is also a new veronica version.

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech			(updated, aug. 19 2001)
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614  icq 5535471