[Air-l] Research consultancy startup

Zunt at aol.com Zunt at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 08:14:31 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/13/2001 9:32:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
carey at newnorth.net writes:

>  I have started a part-time home-based research business.  Would you have
any
>  suggestions as to future projects I could pursue?
>
>  Thank you for any assistance-
>
>  Carey

This is a tough question to address absent a good understanding of your
interests, talents, and motivation.  I'm surely not trying to be cute here,
but chances are that if you reflect on those topics for a while, you might
get closer to a satisfactory answer on your own.  If you've done that and
find yourself in a rut, it might be very worthwhile--in terms of focus--for
you to work up a formal business plan using a software package or trusted
advisors/consultants, and to network with others who operate independent
research/evaluation enterprises.  The same folks who compete with you on some
RFPs might, in other cases, have need of your services on projects they can't
handle alone.

Try to find a long-term mentor (as distinguished from the consultants
mentioned above) who has been successful doing what you want to do--not
necessarily an easy task, but often possible.  Seniors in a field are often
quite flattered to be approached and can be deep wells of useful information
gained through their years of experience.  Along those lines, your local
university might provide a link to a group of retired business executives who
serve as advisors.

Your ISP provides several megs of space for you to develop a web site; you
might take advantage of that to attract folks who have a need you can
fulfill.

The American Evaluation Association (eval.org) has a topical interest group
for independent contractors.  It also has a very active e-mail list called
EVALTALK; the archives might be quite useful to you.

Hope this helps as a start...I expect others here can fill in some gaps.

Cheers,

Bob Briggs
Westport, MA