[Air-l] number of web pages worldwide?

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Sat Aug 25 08:13:45 PDT 2001

I hope I'm not simply forgetting an earlier thread on this list -
but are there any reasonably reliable estimates on the number of webpages
world-wide?
I've tried a number of search engines on this topic, with surprisingly
barren results - unless you count the offer from International Data
Corporation to buy its report, "The Global Market Forecast for Internet
Usage and Commerce: Based on _Internet Commerce Market Model, Version 5_"
for a mere $4,500.00.  (This report is cited in several prospectuses -
prospecti? - filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, as claiming
that the number of worldwide Internet users will grow from 240 million in
1999 to 602 million in 2003 and that the number of web pages worldwide will
grow from approximately 2.1 billion in 1999 to 16.5 billion in 2003.)

I seem to recall a number of 5 billion + cited at aoir 1.0?

Thanks in advance,

Charles Ess
Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Center
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/
"...to be non-violent, we must not wish for anything on this earth which the
meanest and lowest of human beings cannot have." -- Gandhi