[Air-l] C&W 2002 Call for Proposals

Ron Fortune rfortune at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 29 08:22:26 PDT 2001

The Conference on Computers and Writing invites proposals for its
eighteenth annual conference, May 16-19, 2002. Hosted by Illinois State
University in Normal, Illinois, the conference theme is  "Teaching and
Learning in Virtual Spaces."

The conference will explore the ways in which computers are changing how we
conceive of and deal with problems of accessibility in writing instruction,
especially as these problems hinge on the relationship between the virtual
and the physical. What are the differences between reading a virtual and a
physical text? Do we assess writing in virtual space and writing embodied
in a physical document differently? Do the modes of virtual access (MOOs,
web boards, listservs) pose problems for the uninitiated that makes
learning in virtual space more intimidating than learning in the physical
classroom? When learning in virtual and physical space are combined, what
principles inform the combination? How are traditionally disenfranchised
students (the physically disabled, the economically disadvantaged) affected
by the
availability of virtual instruction?

We solicit proposals for individual presentations, panels, round tables,
and half day or full day workshops, that extend and explore issues of
technology and teaching. Please submit proposals via the online application
located at the conference website: http://www.lilt.ilstu.edu/english/cw2002/

The deadline for submission is October 26, 2001.