[Air-l] [cc]Microsoft's really hidden files

Zunt at aol.com Zunt at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 08:48:27 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/10/2001 9:37:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jhuns at vt.edu
writes:

> >The English article on which they base their story/inquiry is here:
>  >
>  >http://fuckmicrosoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml
>  >

Tough as it is to approach such a clearly named website with an open mind, I
took a look at the document and found enough questionable information to
inspire me to write this little memo.

The author makes a big deal about *not* being able to find various
"well-hidden" folders and files using Windows Explorer (he doesn't specify
the Windows product or build that he's using).  But on the contrary, I am
able to see all the worrisome "hidden" temporary folders and files using
Windows Explorer in both Win98 and WinME.  So I don't perceive the need to
boot to DOS as the author suggests; when I followed his instructions, I found
nothing on my machine that I didn't already know about, and unless I've made
a terrible mistake, I fail to see just what the fuss is all about.  The
author gives us a hint by alluding to possible embarrassment if one's sly
visits to pornographic sites were to be discovered, and to the possibility of
personal information being retrieved from one's machine over a network.
There are ways around those problems which do not involve rants directed at
the authors/vendors of particular operating systems and other software tools.

The existence of temporary Internet files, history logs, and cookies are
surely old news by now, and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not the only
browser that makes good use of such features.

I don't use Outlook Express, so can't comment on the author's remarks in that
area.  But a word to the wise here:  Be certain about your intentions and the
effects of your contemplated action *before* you edit your Windows registry.
Back up the registry before you edit it, because an editorial mistake there
can cause the most exquisite of migraines ;>).

Cheers,

Bob Briggs
Westport, MA