[Air-l] [cc]Microsoft's really hidden files

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Aug 10 09:03:21 PDT 2001

At 11:48 AM 8/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/10/2001 9:37:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jhuns at vt.edu
>writes:
>
> > >The English article on which they base their story/inquiry is here:
> >  >
> >  >http://fuckmicrosoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml
> >  >

>Tough as it is to approach such a clearly named website with an open mind, I
>took a look at the document and found enough questionable information to
>inspire me to write this little memo.
yes, well there is a trend in resistance/anti-corporate sites that uses
appends this word or the word sucks to one side or another of the company
name.  The reasons are obvious, in part I theorize that it helps to unify
the people who have the strongest opinions about such a thing.

>There are ways around those problems which do not involve rants directed at
>the authors/vendors of particular operating systems and other software tools.

the question for me was why is this necessary.  my e-mail and browsers work
fine without such things, so why do they do it.  this is not the first time
that microsoft has done something that has privacy implications.  they used
to include all kinds of extraneous information in word and excel files,
though i haven't looked in them recently.

having just went through my semi-annual nt(thankfully i only have one
microsoft system)review, maintenance, and upgrade, i am less than enthused
with microsoft products and strategies, so i reposted this to the list for
perusal.

I think any rant is actually quite useful and quite interesting, this
included, though i don't think it really qualifies as a rant, especially
when the rant points out questionable practices involved.

>But a word to the wise here:  Be certain about your intentions and the
>effects of your contemplated action *before* you edit your Windows registry.
>Back up the registry before you edit it, because an editorial mistake there
>can cause the most exquisite of migraines ;>).

always good advice when dealing with windows.  backup everything often.

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech			(yes i partially updated it)
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614  icq 5535471