[Air-l] Gopher, RIP?

Greg Wise Greg.Wise at asu.edu
Tue Aug 21 08:55:46 PDT 2001

It's the start of the semester and my new media class begins with a history
of the Internet and the various programs and functions which make it up
(most students only think of the Web and e-mail and perhaps instant
messaging). As I was putting materials together (always a bit of
archeological work, it seems), I was wondering if anyone knew of any gopher
sites that are still active? I know Minnesota as a very minimal gopher site
still active, as does UIC, but neither includes the "Other Gopher Servers of
the World" option. Does anyone still use Gopher? I can see how it could
still be a very useful technology if computing power and bandwidth are an
issue (and for many it is).

[was just glancing through Ed Krol's "The Whole Internet User's Guide and
Catalog" c. 1992, partly out of nostalgia, but it also presents an
interesting slice-of-the-Net as it was almost 10 years ago]

Just curious,

Greg Wise