[Air-l] [cc]Microsoft's really hidden files

Zunt at aol.com Zunt at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 09:11:04 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/11/2001 1:14:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
architext at fragment.nl writes:

> follow their links to check yourself with the ShieldsUp! service of GRC.com:
>
>  https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Here's some measure of agreement...this is a very handy site for security
testing (and as I reported to Frank off-list, their robot says that my little
4-box network seems to be set up quite nicely [ temporary sigh of relief ;>)
]).  That's more accident than design, because I've never dug into my own
system security issues very deeply; I am my own system administrator with but
limited access to high-order system gurus.

I wonder if some of the problems that folks encounter might be solved by
taking advantage of the various product patches that Microsoft makes
available at their website (look for "update" rather than "upgrade").  I
check in there from time to time to see what's new and install the things
that look important; the results seem to have worked out ok.

Cheers,

Bob Briggs
Westport, MA