[Air-l] December 2001 executive committee report

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Sat Dec 15 14:48:55 PST 2001

December 15, 2001
Report of the a(o).i.r. executive committee
Prepared by Steve Jones

AoIR Executive Committee
President: Steve Jones
Vice-President: Nancy Baym
Secretary: Ulla Bunz
Treasurer: Benjamin Bates
Open Seats: David Silver and Barry Wellman
Appointed Seats: Matthew Allen and Leslie Shade
Student Seat: Lisbeth Klastrup
Publications Officers: Jeremy Hunsinger and Charlie Breindahl
2002 Conference Coordinator: Monica Murero
2002 Conference Program Chair: Klaus Bruhn Jensen
Ethics Working Group Chair: Charles Ess

1.  Introduction & General (Jones)

Below is the monthly report from AoIR executive committee members.

2.  Executive Officers' Reports

2.1 President (Jones)

2.1.1 I had planned on using this bit of space to talk about some of
the challenges facing AoIR in the near future (none of them
bad...just challenging), but let's save that for the new year's first
report. Instead, I urge you to take a look at the AoIR 2001
conference report at http://www.infotoday.com/it/dec01/conhaim.htm.
It's terrific, independent affirmation, and another tip of the hat to
John Logie and Leslie Shade, and all who contributed in some way to
the conference. And it's a very favorable note on which to close out
the 2001 reports of the executive committee, along with my thanks to
all those who have helped, and are helping, AoIR to serve as a
meeting place (virtual or otherwise) for those interested in Internet
research. May we all have a peaceful, healthy and happy new year.

2.2 Vice President (Baym)

2.2.1 I have been helping the flow of conference organization. There
was very little response to my database suggestion posted to air-l,
so I am not quite sure where, if anywhere, to go with that. There
seemed to be the most expressed interest in at least indexing online
archives. If anyone else has thoughts on this or is interested in
helping to develop online resources for aoir members, please share
your thoughts with me.

2.3 Secretary (Bunz)

2.3.1 I have completed the (non-electronic) AoIR folder that now contains all
items required by bylaws, including a membership list, conference programs
from previous conferences, all CfP, etc.

2.3.2 Matthew Allen, David Silver, and I are putting the final touches on a
project tentatively called Internet Research List of Lists. For more
information, please check David's posting.

2.3.3 In addition, I've been using some of my European connections,
trying to help
Monica Murero and Klaus Bruhn-Jensen to recruit Liikanen as one of our
keynote speakers. I have made a few suggestions regarding conference
planning and volunteered as a reviewer.

2.4 Treasurer (Bates)

2.4.1 Since the last report, we've had about 10 renewals and 10 new
memberships, roughly
equally split between US and non-US email addresses.  We've also had
one chargeback
(a payment that did not go through, which we still have to pay a
transaction fee on).
I'll be sending out the December renewal reminders before I leave for
break.  Will be
mostly out of touch between 18 Dec and 28 Dec.

2.5 Open Seats (Silver, Wellman)

2.5.1 Silver: I've been helping out with the conference committee,
working on the (now
ready for prime time) CFP.  It's been exciting working with Monica Murero
and the rest of the committee and this conference promises to raise the
bar in Internet research. Matthew Allen, Ulla Bunz, and I are putting
the final touches on a project
tentatively called Internet Research List of Lists.  The purpose of the
project is to provide a comprehensive index of mailing lists and online
forums. Contributions from all academic or non-academic origins and from
all over the world are welcome, as long as the content of the list is
devoted to the study of the Internet and new media.  We are hoping that
this project will be member-generated and plan to release the project in
early January.

2.5.2 Wellman: Gave whatever advice I could, volunteered to be on an
awards committee, represented AoIR at Kyto Digital Cities conf in
October, represented AoIR at Canadian Policy Research Initiatives
conference (with Fed. govt) in Ottawa -- so did Leslie!

2.6 Appointed Seats (Allen, Shade)

2.6.1 Allen: In the past few weeks, the main activity was to attend
the inaugural
::fibreculture:: conference, including a public debate 'Digital Publics', in
Melbourne.  At the conference we handed out AoIR information and I wore my
interconnections t-shirt *grin*. There was a great buzz of excitement about
fibreculture, which will develop I believe into a great network of projects,
information, and creative/intellectual production within Australia and
beyond.

2.6.2 Shade: Nothing to report.

2.7 Student Seat (Klastrup)

2.7.1 Nothing to report.

2.8 Publications Officers (Hunsinger, Breindahl)

2.8.1 Hunsinger: the usual for this time of year
did a little bit of everything
and a whole lot of some things
mainly conference stuff
secondarily exec stuff
some list stuff
and finally some members support stuff.

2.8.2 Breindahl: Not nada, but then not mucho, either. If that's a
double negative, it's a
double negative. If that's redundant, so what - it's my research subject.

2.9 2002 Conference (Monica Murero, Coordinator; Klaus Bruhn Jensen,
Program Chair)

2.9.1 Murero: During this period many activities have been done to
organize 2002 AoIR
conference. I have prepared the Action Plan for the months ahead: the
activities are proceeding very successfully. The Call for paper was approved
and issued. The list of the invited speakers (amazing!)was prepared and
approved by the planning committee, and the process of invitation is on its
way. People from all over the world have _already_ started to register for
next year's conference, form Japan to Finland! 1 year before!!! I am
looking forward to meeting you all next year!

2.9.2 Jensen: I have been working with Monica Murero, Jeremy
Hunsinger, and other contributors to air-meet in preparing the 2002
call for papers as well as the structures facilitating submission and
review. The CFP is out, the submission system and its categories are
in place, and a good number of volunteer reviewers are awaiting
submissions. Next up is aiding in the review process and stimulating
submissions.

2.10  AoIR Ethics Working Group (Charles Ess, Chair)

2.10.1 No report.