[Air-l] community-company, and all that

Nils Zurawski zurawsk at uni-muenster.de
Tue Dec 25 11:43:23 PST 2001

HI all,

it is christmas and I had the chance to read through all post on this
interesting  thread... I hope I get it all in the mail, which was
going through my mind while reading the posts.......

1. On commuity and commerce..... while most posts treated the two as
separate issues, that overlap sometimes, few if any saw them as
integral parts of each other.... and I thought more of economics than
of commerce anyway.... so while reading the french anthrpologist
Louis Dumont came to my mind.... he wrote a lot about communalism,
esp. in India, comparing the individual ideology of the West with the
communal of the east, ie. India... the castes etc..... and he talked
about embedded and diesembedded economies..... where the economy and
also commerce are part of a community/society......... where I run
into the problem of defining a community......Gemeinschaft and
Gesellschaft .....

2. I found myself agreeing with Jonathan.... on why research what is
a community at all, why bother..... well... bein g in Northern
Ireland for the past year I came to the point where I was sick of the
work community... it is everywhere and everything..... but never
really defined.... having different references and sizes.... the c.
of NI, the catholic c. and soforth..... but it is sometimes important
to say this is a community according to this or that theory and set
of rules or it isn't .... for example..... acknowledging a certain
status to a given group (identified by language, ethnicity, (sub-)
cultural feature, you name it...) is important... which group is
acknowledged which one isn't.. you gets the money, state, territory,
representational space (esp. in Cyberspace, David Silver's article in
Race in Cyberspace edited by Nakamura et al.... made this pretty
clear and is a good example)... so definition and ackknwoledgment are
forms of distributing power......., that is why it sometimes is
important to see if some entity is a community in the abstract sense
of us researchers......

3. Communalism, communitarianism, community has been mentioned....
they have to do with belonging, boundaries... but also with control,
control of you is in them and how thy behave, what they do and are
made to do..... social control, and we should not forget this
part.... offline or online.....it is about the control of discourses,
behavior, power and also money... and in comes the ecomomy or
commerce....

This would be my take on community for now.... we certainly could
evoke the discussion we had on the air-meet list about ethnicity or
race here... which would establish a community and why under which
circumstances... but I want you to enjoy christmas and not read posts
that are too long anyway......

Best to all of you enjoy the rest of the remaining year and talk to
you next year. I will go sort of offline until then.....

nilz