[Air-l] Re: Company vs. Community (Andrew Perrin)

John Daly dalyj at erols.com
Mon Dec 17 11:45:11 PST 2001

I wonder is "community" is not a term of convenience, like the word
"system". I suspect that I use the term "community" to distinguish a
social group as an object of discussion or analysis, differentiating it
from the background society. I suspect like "system", the designation is
effective if the communication
within the community is stronger than the communication across the
community frontier.

Companies, of course, are formal organizations, where someone (else) has
gone to the effort of designating the frontiers and formalizing some of
the institutional relationships. Except I work with developing countries
in which lots of companies are not formal companies.