[Air-l] Re: Company vs. Community (Andrew Perrin)

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Mon Dec 17 12:56:26 PST 2001

Halliday speaks of anti-languages, and perhaps anti-language communities.
Not sure how it fits here, though. His main example of an anti-language is
Grypserka (sp?)--a language created by prisoners in Poland to make their
communication obscure to their guards by altering aspects of  Polish
vocabulary, morphology, etc. Seen in this light, some have complained that
academese is a kind of anti-language.
--Christian Nelson

R.A.Hope-Hume at open.ac.uk wrote:

>  Didn't Halliday talk about something he called sometibg like
> 'anti-communinity' (or something like that) in this regard?
>
> Bob Hope-Hume

NetscapeCommunicator4.73Win3220000502