[Air-l] my take on community

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 18 09:06:01 PST 2001

Folks,
I'm pleased that some AOIR-niks have referred to my work on community,
For a starter on this, please read the first "Network Community" chapter
of Barry Wellman, ed., Networks in the Global Village (Westview Press,
1999). The rest of the book is good too, with Wellman & Gulia, "Net
Surfers Don't Ride Alone: Virtual Community as Community" being especially
appropriate for AOIR-niks.

Really soon, I shall mount a report I did for the Law Commission of Canada
just now, which synthesizes my work on community AND virtual community.

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman