[Air-l] Re: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #242 - 8 msgs

Andrew Perrin andrew_perrin at unc.edu
Mon Dec 17 09:33:04 PST 2001

Culture, too, is a hotly-debated question. Older sociological takes tended
to see it as below: a pattern of beliefs, or (in Parsonian
terms) "values".  In the past 20 years or so, sociologists of culture have
moved away from this, partially for theoretical reasons but (IMHO) more
because it proved impossible to actually locate these hypothesized shared
values. (Every once in a while, we try to make theory conform to empirical
observation instead of vice versa :).)  More recent sociology of culture
(Bourdieu, Swidler, Boltanski & Thevenot, Sewell, etc.) has tended to see
culture(s) as overlapping, strategic, and discursive. That is, rather than
providing shared values they provide resources for interpreting and
approaching problems; they provide different such resources and in
different ways to different sub-cultures; and these resources are
(often) encapsulated in forms of discourse (talk, media, writing, etc.).

I suppose one could argue that communities are those things that have
cultures, which might address the fact that the study of both is so
muddled right now.

ap

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA