[Air-l] Internet Paradox Revisited

Reinhold Grether Reinhold.Grether at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jul 24 00:42:05 PDT 2001

Kraut, R., Kiesler,S., Boneva, B., Cummings, J.,
Helgeson, V. & Crawford, A. (In press). Journal of
Social Issues.

Kraut et al. (1998) reported small but reliable
negative effects of using the Internet on measures
of social involvement and psychological well-being
among new Internet users in 1995-1996. We called
the effects a “paradox” because participants used
the Internet heavily for communication, which
generally has positive effects. A 3-year follow-up of
the original sample found that negative effects
dissipated. We also report findings from a
longitudinal study in 1998-99 of new computer and
television purchasers. This sample experienced
overall positive effects of using the Internet on
communication, social involvement, and well-being.
Consistent with a “rich get richer” model, the
Internet generally predicted better outcomes for
extraverts and those with more social support but
worse outcomes for introverts or those with less

You can request a preprint of this paper by sending
email to marilyn.jameson at cs.cmu.edu.

Glad to see us all that happy,
Reinhold Grether