[Air-l] Air-l digest, Vol 1 #26 - 1 msg (fwd)

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:24:50 PDT 2001

Yes, we are an international organization, and I'm quite confident
that in the near future our conferences will take place outside the
U.S., and that our international nature will take on increased
prominence.

I think there are good reasons to have joint meetings, and it's
something that the AoIR executive committee has discussed. We've had
inquiries from other organizations about having joint meetings, and I
think it's terrific to have such expressions of interest. I'm sure
that in the future we'll be able to mutually benefit.

What I ask, however, is patience -- we've only had one conference
thus far, and we're still a fledgling organization. I don't desire to
curtail our ambitions, imaginations, etc. Most of us are familiar
with other scholarly or trade associations and have a set of
expectations based on that familiarity. I'm sure that some day AoIR
will be able to offer many of the things that those associations do
(at least as far as it makes sense for AoIR and its members) and
likely we'll be able to offer many things they do not. I want to be
able to ensure that we can handle the things that we do at this
point, and that we do them well, before we add greatly to our efforts.

Sj