[Air-l] June 2001 report

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Fri Jun 15 16:51:19 PDT 2001

June 15, 2001
Report of the a(o).i.r. executive committee
Prepared by Steve Jones

AoIR Executive Committee
President: Steve Jones
Vice-President: Nancy Baym
Secretary: Matt Stoner
Treasurer (on leave): Benjamin Bates
Interim Treasurer: Wes Shrum
Open Seats: Beth Kolko and Sean Cubitt
Appointed Seats: Diane Witmer and Fay Sudweeks
Student Seat: Matt Williams
Publications Officers: Jeremy Hunsinger and Charlie Breindahl
2001 Conference Coordinator: John Logie
2001 Conference Program Chair: Leslie Shade
Ethics Working Group Chair: Charles Ess

1.  Introduction & General (Jones)

Below is the monthly report from AoIR executive committee members.

2.  Executive Officers' Reports

2.1 President (Jones)

2.1.1. The executive committee is working on a revision to the AoIR
bylaws to make them better reflect the shape the organization has
taken. We will, of course, share the proposed revisions with the
membership, ask for comment, etc. This is an important matter. We
have been operating under essentially "draft" bylaws. I encourage
your participation and discussion of the revisions when they are
posted.

2. Along with that revision I have asked the executive committee to
draft new descriptions of their roles, now that they've had some time
to work in them, in advance of upcoming AoIR elections.

3. An important point follows, which is that since we are now a paid
membership organization, and according to the bylaws, only members
who have their dues paid up at the time of a vote are in fact
eligible to vote.

4. There is planning afoot for the 2002 and 2003 conferences, and I
hope to have an announcement soon about those.

5. For those of you keeping score... :-)

As of a couple of weeks ago on air-l there are 773 people. There are
358 paid members including people from AoIR 1.0 whose membership was
included in the registration for the conference. 279 of those expire
on October 1. We have 79 members who paid apart from AoIR 1.0.

2.2 Vice President (Baym)

2.2.1 We (Ben Bates, Steve Jones, and I) met in DC [SJ note - at the
International Communication Association meeting] where we discussed
the upcoming elections, bylaws revisions, and a few other lesser
topics. No decisions were made. The two are somewhat interdependent,
since election procedures and elected positions are set forth in the
bylaws. I have been trying to get and keep some of this discussion
going.

2.3 Secretary (Stoner)

2.3.1 Nothing to report.

2.4 Treasurer (Shrum - interim, Bates)

2.4.1 Shrum: No report.

2.4.2 Bates: Will get back to work after research trip to NZ for the
next month or so.

2.4.3 S. Jones addendum: As you may recall Ben was on a Fulbright to
Finland the past year. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Wes
Shrum for standing in, particularly during the conference in Kansas,
and helping us out.

2.5 Open Seats (Kolko, Cubitt)

2.5.1 Kolko: No report.

2.5.2 Cubitt: Nothing to report.

2.6 Appointed Seats (Witmer, Sudweeks)

2.6.1 Witmer: Nothing to report.

2.6.2 Sudweeks: Nothing to report.

2.7 Student Seat (Williams)

2.7.1 No report.

2.8 Publications Officers (Hunsinger, Breindahl)

2.8.1 Hunsinger: Everything seems to be going smoothly on the server.
I'm in preparation to upgrade several things in the members only
section.  I just received Manuel Castells' keynote back on two
cdroms.  I should be making that stream soon, but it is currently not
compressed as much as it could be, so I have to do that also.   I
think other than that we're good.  John is generating some bios for
this year's keynotes, once we have those we'll put those up.  I may
be migrating the conference material and picture archives over to the
aoir server sometime soon also.

2.8.2 Breindahl: No report.

2.9 2001 Conference (John Logie, Coordinator and Leslie Shade, Program Chair)

2.9.1 Logie: As of today, June 15th, there are 29 registrants for the
conference. We expect a significant spike in registrations in the
coming weeks, as scheduling within the conference is finalized.
Roughly half of the registrants have "opted in" for the Friday night
dinner. We will continue to monitor registrations and evaluate
whether the dinner is beyond the means of a significant number of
registrants.

U of MN's Professional Education and Conference Planning department
has produced a detailed timeline for their share of the conference
responsibilities. Meanwhile, I have been working on five core issues:

1) Formalizing arrangements with D'Amico, caterer for the Thursday
night reception;

2) Establishing a working relationship with local bookseller
Ruminator Books to handle the book exhibit room.

3) Working with the local Apple representative to maintain the high
standard of technical support found at IR 1.0

4) Revising the Conference webpages to answer still more frequently
asked questions and to provide more information about our keynoters.

5) Locating additional space for the conference should the number of
confirmed continue to outpace the totals for IR 1.0.

I had hoped for #4 (the revised site) to be up and running by today,
but it now seems clear the task will extend into the weekend. Look
for the revised site Monday.

2.9.2 Shade: Paper and panel acceptances have been sent out in May
and I am doing an e-mail follow-up, this next week, for those folks
that haven't responded as to whether or not they're coming. Then the
jig-saw of putting together the panels starts. Meanwhile, summer's
here and I'm taking advantage of that.

2.10 AoIR Ethics Working Group (Charles Ess, Chair)

2.10.1 No report.