[Air-l] RE: air and gor

Bunz, Ulla K ulla at ukans.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:53:37 PDT 2001

 I'm glad to see that my suggestion has already resulted in some reactions.
Let me clarify two points and add another comment.

First clarification: I am perfectly aware of the time frame. Aior needs time
to establish and develop itself. In addition (and apart from the rather
important point that I'm not even sure if GOR members would want a joint
conference; we'd have to check on that) a joint conference is even harder to
organize. Not counting October, I figured maybe the third year or so from
now as the earliest possible.

Second clarification: I would not encouraged joining GOR and AIoR into one
organization. They should stay separate. However, I believe a joint
conference is exciting. Paper acceptance is more competitive, people who
have not (and possibly never will) attend air might show up to a joint
conference, etc. Remember, a million years ago, first day of Grad School?
You walk into this room with all kinds of strangers, and you smile, trying
to be polite. And then they start talking, and you realize, "Hey, I've heard
that before, except..." and suddenly, you're all excited, mentally rolling
up your shirt sleeves. To me, that's what it feels like when I talk about my
research with people from different disciplines and cultures. It's rather
addictive.

Finally, my additional comment. I only found out about the German Online
Research conference through a posting on this list. So, I can't possibly be
the only tie. Plus, I agree with Steve, let's hear more about similar
conferences.

I'd like to encourage more comments and maybe more suggestions on this
topic.

ulla