[Air-l] Social Movement Studies: cfp

T.R.Jordan at open.ac.uk T.R.Jordan at open.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 01:24:22 PDT 2001

Note the interest in cyber-activism!
Apols for cross=posting.

Social Movement Studies: journal of social, cultural and political protest
First Call for Papers

Social Movement Studies is an international and inter-disciplinary journal
providing a forum for academic debate and analysis of extra-parliamentary
political, cultural and social movements throughout the world. The journal
will be launched in 2002 and we are now actively looking for contributions.
Social Movement Studies has a broad, inter-disciplinary approach designed to
accommodate papers engaging with any theoretical school and which study the
origins, development, organisation, values, context and impact of historical
and contemporary movements active in all parts of the world. We understand
our inter-disciplinary approach to include both contributions that engage
with particular schools of thought relevant to social movements and popular
protest and contributions that extend across disciplinary boundaries. Social
Movement Studies aims to publish soundly researched analyses and to
re-establish writing as intervention. From this broad and inclusive
perspective we will be interested in contributions dealing with social
movements, popular protests and networks that support protest. This includes
contributions dealing with but not restricted to:

* movements of all types including gender, race, sexuality, indigenous
people’s rights, disability, ecology, peace, youth, age, religion, animal
rights and others,
* forms of communication, media and representation engaged with social
change, including the Internet and cybercultures,
* networks of support and broad ‘ways of life’ engaged with alternative
social systems,
* appraisals of popular reactionary movements or populist movements of the
‘right’,
* subcultures and countercultures, including such things as the place of
dance, pleasure or music in resistance,
* identities and the construction of collective identities
* relations between protests and social structures, including situating
movements in local, regional, national, international and global
socio-economic and cultural contexts
* theoretical reflections on the significance of social movements and
protest.

If you work in these or related areas we would be very pleased to hear from
you with a contribution. If you would like to discuss your potential
contribution please contact the editors at
social-movement-studies at open.ac.uk or Social Movement Studies, C/-Pavis
Centre for Social and Cultural Research, Faculty of Social Sciences, The
Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK. For further
details on how to submit a paper, including full ‘Notes for Contributors’
please visit http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/ and search for the journal
title or request a copy from the above addresses. Manuscripts can be sent to
the same addresses, though please first look at the Notes for Contributors.

Tim Jordan, Adam Lent, George McKay,
The Editors
social-movement-studies at open.ac.uk