[Air-l] Copyright and fair use -- further notes

Ken Friedman ken.friedman at bi.no
Thu May 24 10:17:12 PDT 2001

Dear Colleagues,

Some of the recent posts on copyright and fair use raise valid
points. These deserve to be argued out with issues and examples made
clear.

At the same time, one issue must be considered. There is a current
body of law, and on some of these issues, the law -- and not social
practice -- is decisive. The problem of The Wind Done Gone is not the
old copyright law, but the extension of this law under the Sonny Bono
act.

Ted Friedman writes, "we have a responsibility to push the boundaries
of 'fair use,' and not accept the tightly constrained version
copyright owners promote." This may be so. I'd like to see the
argument and the distinctions.

On one issue, though, Ted is wrong. He writes, "I'd like to [insist]
that ultimately, definitions of 'copyright' and 'fair use' are
established not just through court decisions, but through social
practices that involve conflict and struggle."

This is factually incorrect. Copyright is determined by legislative
act and interpreted by the courts. The same holds true of fair use,
though fair use tends to have more room for interpretation based on
its nature as an interpreted part of the law.

Conflict and struggle may lead to revised legislation, but they do
not establish the law. Social practices influence legislation and
interpretation both, but a legislature and a judge establish the law.

When I was an editor and publisher, we used to run each issue of one
sensitive newsletter dealing with the economics of art past a lawyer.
We did this both to protect against the possibility of libel and for
the fact that clear demonstration of careful procedures with intent
to avoid defamation is itself protection against libel.

My lawyer -- he represented Bullwinkle the Moose very successfully,
and he had been the lawyer for Wilhelm Reich with less fortunate
results -- once told me a rather impressive fact of law. He said, "If
you take a pistol and walk out into the street and kill someone, you
will have killed someone. You haven't committed murder until a judge
and jury say you have."

It is a mistake to confuse common sense definitions with law, and it
is a mistake to confuse the process of influencing changes to the law
with changing the law itself. If someone on AIR-L is elected to
Congress or appointed to the federal bench, he or she can change the
law.

The rest of us must be content with conflict and struggle.

There are those few whose individual conflict may indeed bring about
changes to the law. This requires a willingness to enter the arena as
Martin Luther King and others did with civil rights, or, perhaps more
appropriately, as Peter Zenger did with libel law. It is one thing to
speak of conflict and struggle. It is another to enlist for the fight
as King or Zenger did.

This distinction is worth considering. It is not clear that fair use
constrains us from most important kinds of scholarship. Jonathan
Sterne is right in his view that many publishers are greedy. This
does not limit their rights under the law. On the other hand, their
rights do not limit analysis and critique: they limit excessive
republishing or free transfer of their materials.

Times are changing in many important regards, though, and some of
these are driven by the new technologies.

The current debate on scholarly publishing and public libraries of
scientific and scholarly journals offers an important example of the
ways in which we can bring about important changes. See URL:

http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/index.html

The issues raised here are important and valid. I distinguish between
descriptive statements of the law as it is and the situation as it
should be.

Most important, one must decide how one wishes to bring about change.
If one wishes to engage in a form of civil disobedience by purposely
challenging the law, that is one path. If someone on this list wishes
to be the Peter Zenger of the new copyright law, all that is required
is a willingness to take public action that puts it on the line.

My view is that this is not necessary: much can be changed through
dialogue, debate, and community action. Until the changes take place,
the law is more clear than its critics seem to acknowledge.

Ken Friedman

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design
Department of Knowledge Management
Norwegian School of Management

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute