[Air-l] Copyright issues on material transmitted to AIR-L

Zunt at aol.com Zunt at aol.com
Wed May 23 08:08:44 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/23/01 9:17:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jhuns at vt.edu
writes:

> However, one can distribute within fair
>  use guidelines, which is distributing the first paragraph a link to the
rest.

Lord knows I've been guilty of this sort of thing and have see the issue
raised elsewhere.  On reflection I agree generally with Jeremy's view.
However, the characterization of fair use is not accurate.  Determination of
fair use varies quite dramatically between contexts, and I've not seen any
case law covering the topic vis-a-vis e-mail lists of any sort.  (What if the
article is just one paragraph?)

As a practical matter on a list, I would prefer being informed *about* an
article that someone thinks is important--as with other forms of lit reviews.
 And if a brief, relevant quote from the article helps to make the point,
that's great.

Cheers,

Bob Briggs
Westport, MA