[Air-l] Copyright issues on material transmitted to AIR-L

Ed Lamoureux ell at hilltop.bradley.edu
Wed May 23 08:20:17 PDT 2001

for what it's worth . . .

I don't think that this listserve is what the law refers to by
"educational purpose." I've always interpreted that to mean a class . . .
in which students are enrolled. If I put up material that is otherwise
copyright protected, for a class, I have to block others' access. If I
limit access to "outsiders" (those not signed up), I can do LOTS of things
under fair use that I can't otherwise do.

But I don't think a listserve (even of academics) chatting deserves the
same level of "protection" under fair use. If it did, the fair use
principle would be virtually meaningless, for every group of people who
gets together to "exchange" ideas about stuff would then be "free" to
claim that their use is educational. . . .

I don't like to compromise fair use....cause I really really really want
it for my courses . . .

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor,
Speech Communication and Multimedia
Editor, Journal of Communication and Religion
Bradley University
Peoria IL 61625
ell at bradley.edu
http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~ell