[Air-l] Copyright issues on material transmitted to AIR-L

Ed Lamoureux ell at hilltop.bradley.edu
Wed May 23 08:48:58 PDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Christian Nelson wrote:

> Ed Lamoureux wrote:
>
> > for what it's worth . . .
> >
> > I don't think that this listserve is what the law refers to by "educational
> > purpose." I've always interpreted that to mean a class . . .
>
> I'm pretty sure the full text of the law states that doing research is an
> activity with an "educational purpose" they meant to exempt via "fair use,"
> and this list's discussion is definitely an aid or adjunct to research if not
> an integral part of doing research.

Ed:

sorry...but I also disagree pretty strongly with this. This list isn't
doing research. It's chatting. It may be learning about research
issues...but list members are neither signed up for credit for a class,
nor are they engaged in active research as part and parcel to their
participation here. I don't buy it.

Further, even if one of us is doing research, we aren't all on/in the same
project...so forwarding us copyright protected stuff goes outside the
intent (in my view).

Of course....I'm no lawyer . . . and this is a brave new frontier.