[Air-l] From NYT: HE-MAILS, SHE-MAILS: WHERE SENDER MEETS GENDER

Ken Friedman ken.friedman at bi.no
Sun May 20 02:30:06 PDT 2001

                  Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company
          http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/17/technology/17TALK.html

   May 17, 2001

      HE-MAILS, SHE-MAILS: WHERE SENDER MEETS GENDER

      By JOYCE COHEN

  WITH their wedding party scattered across 3,000 miles, Gladys We and
  Tony Nathan did much of their wedding planning by e-mail.

  For their first-anniversary gift last September, their bridesmaid Grace
  Cheng compiled all the wedding correspondence into a handmade book. About
  90 percent of the book consisted of messages sent among the bride and her
  bridesmaids. A paltry 10 percent was messages among the men.

  The women held forth not just on wedding minutiae like heel height and
  earring style, but also on a whole lot more -- "stories about our days,
  support over little frustrations, congratulations on little triumphs,"
  said Ms. We, a graphic designer in Vancouver, British Columbia. "The
  groomsmen sent a couple of wedding jokes and reminded each other of the
  tux fitting."

  Ms. We continues to exchange e-mail daily with her female friends. "A
  message is a bright spot in the day," she said. "It's like a
  kaffeeklatsch of girlfriends getting together to talk."

  She added, "My husband finds it odd."

  Of course he does. He's a guy.

  But it does not seem at all odd to many e-mail users, who can't help
  noticing that women are so often voluble and open on screen, while men
  are terse and tight-lipped.

  "My female friends write huge, long things -- the latest gossip and every
  little, minute detail of what's going on, and really specific stuff about
  school and social life and everything," said Leslie Wright, a student at
  Barnard College. "With guys, it's more like an outline."

  Indeed, communication researchers who are beginning to study the e-mail
  behavior of men and women say they are finding real differences. But they
  are also finding some surprises in how those differences are expressed.

  In general, they say, women tend to use the electronic medium as an
  extension of the way they talk -- lavishly and intimately, to connect
  with people and build rapport. Men, in both speech and text, incline
  toward a briefer, more utilitarian style, the researchers say -- a style
  they variously term instrumental, functional or transactional.

  But some researchers have detected something else going on. The
  disinhibiting effect of e-mail, they say, makes it possible for people
  of few words -- men, usually -- to convey thoughts and feelings that they
  would find nearly impossible to say aloud.

  David Becker, a Manhattan lawyer, fits the pattern of the taciturn male.
  He uses e-mail often with a group of male friends from college and said
  that "95 percent of the messages are coordinating stuff to do with our
  free time."

  He added, "There's usually a practical reason for the e-mail, like, `What
  are we doing tonight?' or `Can you get out of work early?' not, `Let's
  catch up.' " The replies are short and informational, he said, though
  they sometimes include insults and clowning around.

  E-mail messages from his former girlfriend, however, "read like a one-
  sided phone conversation," Mr. Becker said.

  "She would send me, literally, thousand-word e-mails with questions and
  thoughts and all this stuff."

  Though he would not always read the message immediately, "I would never
  delete one without reading it," he said. "If I replied at all, it would
  be, `My day is going fine, I'll talk to you later.' "

  There are more subtle differences, as well. Ms. Wright and her female
  friends tend to read their e-mail as soon as they receive it and reply at
  once. "Even if I don't have a lot of time, I will respond right away and
  be, like, `I don't have time now, but will write a longer e-mail later,'
  "she said. "If I e-mail a guy, I have to wait a few days to get a
  response. Guy friends are horrible that way, but guys who are interested
  in you are better."

  Dr. Linnda Caporael said she felt obligated to humanize her messages. Not
  only does she answer her e-mail promptly, but she adds detail, even when
  her correspondents are seeking a one-word answer.

  "I say, `Yes, that's fine,' or `Yes, that's O.K.,' " said Dr. Caporael,
  who teaches social science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy,
  N.Y. A "no" answer gets a more elaborate explanation.

  "Why can't I just say no?" she said. "If I know someone, I will answer
  even longer."

  Of course, many factors besides sex -- including age, income, education
  and status -- influence what is said, and there are many forms of
  electronic communication. There are private messages and public ones; e-
  mail messages sent for social, business or romantic reasons; those traded
  within single-sex or mixed groups; and notes between people who know each
  other well, a bit, or not at all.

  "No generalization applies to all forms of computer-mediated
  communication," said Dr. Susan C. Herring, associate professor of
  information science and linguistics at Indiana University at Bloomington.
  "The key word is context."

  Still, when it comes to public e-mail -- message boards, mailing lists
  and chat rooms -- Dr. Herring and other researchers have noted how
  typical speech patterns translate into online text. Her research shows
  that in online groups, "men tend to make strong assertions," disagree
  with others and use profanity, insults and sarcasm. By contrast, women
  tend to use mitigated assertions along with questions, offers,
  suggestions and polite expressions, she said. They are supportive and
  agreeable, peppering their messages with more emoticons and
  representations of laughter, like "haha," "heehee" and "lol," for
  "laughing out loud."

  Except for an inclination to start or fan flame wars, men in online
  groups tend to limit the interaction, while women encourage others to
  engage, said Dr. David Silver, an assistant professor at the University
  of Washington and the director of the online Resource Center for Cyber
  Culture Studies (www.otal.umd.edu /~rccs).

  "Men come online to give information or give an answer, and in essence
  stop the conversation," he said. "Women add a question, tweak a thread or
  make things more complicated. I have found mailing lists dominated by
  women to be much more interesting, collegial and communitarian."

  Still, the loose-lips effect of e-mail, which leads people to write as
  candidly as if they were writing in a diary, despite knowing their words
  will be read on the other end, is especially powerful for some men. Those
  who are usually reluctant to divulge personal information or betray
  emotion often find that e-mail provides a layer of distance they find
  liberating.

  "The electronic distance that lets men write so freely is akin to their
  preferred way of speaking -- without a direct face-to-face alignment that
  makes a lot of men uncomfortable," said Dr. Deborah Tannen, a professor
  of linguistics at Georgetown University and a pioneer in the field of sex
  differences in language.

  E-mail can impose a "beneficial distance" that is useful for times when
  verbal communication is "too rich," Dr. Herring added. "For many men,
  e-mail may take some of the emotional charge off loaded emotional
  situations."

  For example, Mike Murnane, a real estate broker in Palo Alto, Calif.,
  finds it much easier to express his affection for his grown children --
  three daughters and a son -- through e-mail.

  "In person, my girls and my wife talk frequently and rapidly, and I don't
  get a chance to say much," Mr. Murnane said. "With the phone, at least
  for me, there has to be some reason to call. But with e-mail you can say
  any random thing -- a thought or something that happened -- and send it
  off quickly. It's easy for me to acknowledge what my children do in a
  very loving way."

  His middle daughter, Maria Murnane, keeps a computer file of her father's
  e-mail messages. "I cherish them, because he is so shy and
  nonexpressive," she said. "I get the sweetest e-mails and he says things
  he never says in person."

  E-mail works well, too, when it comes to conflict. Martin Ogawa, who
  works at an online directory service in San Francisco, prefers e-mail
  for difficult discussions with his fiancée, Cheryl Kaplan.

  "When I know she is upset with me, I will send her an e-mail instead of
  calling," Mr. Ogawa said. "It's less confrontational. It makes it easier
  to resolve the issue and move forward."

  Whatever the difficult subject -- a concrete one like finances or a murky
  one like their relationship, "e-mail helps me approach the subject in a
  less aggressive manner," said Ms. Kaplan, a lawyer. "On the phone, I
  don't give Martin enough time to give his side because I'm too busy
  giving him my version."

  Still, she would always prefer a real conversation. "If I wrote a
  response, I'd be typing for days," she said. "A million things are going
  through my head, and all I want to do is pick up the phone and talk about
  it."

          http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/17/technology/17TALK.html