[Air-l] Copyright issues on material transmitted to AIR-L

Aldon Hynes ahynes1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 07:39:56 PDT 2001

I must admit, I do not know the legal issues here, but
on a different list which often forwards copyrighted
articles, I often see a disclaimer:

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this
material is distributed without profit to those who
have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
included information for research and educational
purposes.)

Can anyone explain Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 as it
pertains here?  My understanding of the disclaimer is
that such forwarding of copyrighted material would be
permissable.

Aldon