[Air-l] "the law"

Joan Korenman korenman at umbc.edu
Fri May 25 05:24:50 PDT 2001

--On Friday, May 25, 2001 7:50 AM -0400 Dean Rehberger
<rehberger at mail.matrix.msu.edu> wrote:

> Last note on my part on this issue.  But I did a bit of research,
> and found that several sites do encourage sending articles to
> multiple sources and indeed encourage sending to as many people as
> possible.  For example, CNN offers help on sending to "friends,
> family, and colleagues."  I wrote to the "help" address to ask if
> it was okay to send the article to a listserv. They said it was
> fine as long as they could identify those who received the article
> (the function is run by a marketing company as well as the help).

This last sentence seems to suggest that CNN will agree to sending
its articles to a listserv as long as each and every recipient on the
listserv can be identified to their marketing company.  If this is
the case, I don't think their policy supports the sending of articles
to listservs.  I for one would NOT want to be identified to a
marketing company, and I suspect many others on this list would have
a similar reservation.

I thought I'd stay out of this discussion, but now that I'm sending
this message, I might mention that I support the position of Jeremy
Hunsinger and Ed Lamoureux.  Like Jeremy, I'm responsible for a
public listserv that runs on a university server, and I've put a
statement in my list's User's Guide asking people not to send
articles covered by copyright to the list.  The article's information
can be conveyed just as effectively by giving people the URL along
with the title and/or a brief excerpt or summary.  That also saves
space in the digest and the archives.

	Joan

        Joan Korenman, Director
        Center for Women & Information Technology
        Baltimore, MD 21250  USA
        korenman at umbc.edu
        http://www.umbc.edu/cwit/