[Air-l] Hotmail to charge?

danah boyd danah at media.mit.edu
Thu Nov 1 17:18:34 PST 2001

Actually, i would expect Microsoft to switch Hotmail to a pay-only system
quite soon, primarily because it is a part of Passport (and thus .NET My
Services).  Microsoft announced that users will have to pay to participate
in .NET My Services (as will businesses who access the data), so when that
is in place, they will probably have to pay for Hotmail. For more on .NET
My Services, the official site: http://www.microsoft.com/myservices/ (or
do a websearch on Hailstorm, the old code name).

Most of the free services have been bought up by major corporations who
intend to either integrate the services into one of their packages, or to
use the consumer base for other purposes (often through advertising)
(eGroups/Onelist, free mail programs, free internet, free phone calls,
...).  Since the ability to sell advertising has depleted in the current
market, i expect that most of these services will either disappear or
begin to cost money.  Hell, even media has started to cost money for
"premium" services (i.e. Salon).

Sure, people leave when advertising starts (the aforementioned
Yahoogroups), but when there aren't alternatives, it becomes even more
problematic for users.  So long as there are free alternatives, companies
will have a hard time charging for equal services, but as the free
companies go under, i expect that fees will immediately follow.  As an
example, look at the evolution of "free internet"  (i.e. Juno/NetZero
which has been limiting the "free" component more and more).

What concerns me is what impact this will have in magnifying the "digital
divide"...

::sigh::
danah

--- d a n a h --- b o y d ------http://www.danah.org/---------

"but as bad as i am
   i'm proud of the fact
      that i'm worse than i seem
what kind of paradise am i looking for?
   i've got everything i want and still i want more"