[Air-l] AoIR communal data-database

Charlie Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Sat Nov 17 12:14:47 PST 2001

Friends,

    In point 4 of Nancy's proposal for a data repository there is this
statement: "Our intention is that access to such private resources
contributed by aoir members
would be limited to aoir members."  I see no reasonable justification
for restricting access and would not participate in the venture if
such restrictions are adopted.

    The question of metadata raises a difficult barrier to building
the proposed repository.  Data is pretty much useless without
metadata.  The amount of work required to obtain useful metadata is
likely to exceed what a volunteer effort can support.