[Air-l] AoIR communal data-database

Charlie Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Sun Nov 18 12:35:03 PST 2001

OK, there is a proposal: the metadata should be based on the
openarchives.org database.  Now, in total ignorance of that metadata
set, let me say that that metadata set might be so extensive that the
data providers would be discouraged from submitting their metadata.
There is an exquisite balance between the work required to input
metadata and the rewards for participating in such a project.  In my
experience that balance goes to simplicity of an order that makes the
metadata marginally useful.  I would argue for a custom metadata set
-- that argument based on experience with the hopelessly complex
metadata standards of the Federal Geographic Data Committee.