[Air-l] Re: Interpretation in newsgroups

Stine Gotved gotved at hum.ku.dk
Wed Nov 7 03:24:34 PST 2001

Robert Arpo wrote:
I´m writing doctoral dissertation on collective processes of interpretation
and
construction of meaning in Internet-newsgroups (Usenet, BBs, Web-boards) and
I´d
like to know more about research made on cultural aspects of newsgroups.

<snip>

Well, in my dissertation (1999) I used Goffman (Behavior in Public Places +
The Presentation of Self In Everyday Life + Interaction Rituals) to
interpret a newsgroup as a social gathering steered by norms (cultural norms
as well as 'locally' invented norms). Because of the likeness in interaction
rituals, I also used Lyn Lofland's work on the urban social space (A World
of Strangers) and her later work on the urban realms (The Public Realm) to
describe the not-private-nor-public atmosphere in a newsgroup. You may find
my paper on these topics in the archives from AoIR:1 in Kansas.
I would love to hear more about your research and the
results/interpretations!

/Stine