[Air-l] lit. on e-commerce / new economy firms?

D. Silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 19 08:02:11 PST 2001

Phil!

I too have been looking for similar resources and they are tough to come
by.  I find it hard to think of resources that fit your specific
qualifications (published; no broad sketch books on the new economy) but
offer the following that might be somewhat relevant:

Vincent Mosco, "Webs of Myth and Power: Connectivity and the New Computer
Technopolis," in Andrew Herman & Thomas Swiss, eds, The World Wide Web and
Contemporary Cultural Theory (Routledge, 2000)

Daniel Marschall, "'Nurture the Hurt, Dude!': An Ethnographic Portrait of
an Internet Software Development Firm." (Dan presented portions of this
paper at AIR 1.0; he can be contacted, I think, at: djmarsch at usa.net)

Andrew Ross has a piece on Silicon Alley in NY in his book Real Love: In
Pursuit of Cultural Justice (NYU Press, 1998); it's called "Jobs in
Cyberspace."

Ok, you said you wanted scholarly pieces but if you're willing to twist
your definition of scholarly a bit I'd suggest the following:

Bill Lessard & Steve Baldwin, Net Slaves: True Tales of Working the Web
(McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing, 2000)

Casey Kait & Stephen Weiss, Digital Hustlers: Living Large and Falling
Hard in Silicon Alley (ReganBooks, 2001)

and my personal fav

Po Bronson, The Nudist on the Late Shift (Broadway Books, 2000)

Good luck Phil,

david silver
http://faculty.washington.edu/dsilver