[Air-l] Re: UCLA Internet Use Report

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Fri Nov 30 08:39:36 PST 2001

I just taught a day of my grad cmc seminar yesterday in which we read
the results of a number of these studies (the homenet stuff too, old
and new), and my students had much the same reaction as yours, Becky.
"Why ask the question?" cried one particularly exasperated person.
Your call for analyses of context is right on. I'd also like to see
more analyses of different uses of the internet, different kinds of
internet users, and in general more analysis of differences instead
of looking for unilateral effects (or the lack thereof) caused by The
Internet. On the other hand, I find these tracking studies really
interesting and useful for getting a snapshot overview.

Nancy