[Air-l] CFP: Informing and communications theory

Sue Myburgh Sue.Myburgh at unisa.edu.au
Sun Nov 18 20:50:05 PST 2001

Widely cross-posted - Apologies for duplication.

Please forward as appropiate - Thank you.

The 2002 InSITE (Informing Science and IT Education) conference
(http://IS2002.com) will be held at the University College Cork, Cork, Ireland,
on June 19-22, 2002.

What is "Informing Science"? I hear you ask.  Eli Cohen, Editor of the
Informing Science Journal, has written an intereting article on this
(http://inform.nu/WhatsIS.htm) which describes Informing Science as emerging
from the area of Information Systems.  The abstract reads as follows:

The field of Information Systems (IS) has been attacked for its lack of
tradition and focus. This paper suggests that the criticisms are based on the
misunderstandings of the nature of Information Systems, both inside and outside
the field. The paper begins by extending the fragmentation problem seen by
Information Systems to the hierarchical model for knowledge expounded by the
universities. It then examines the limitations of existing frameworks for
defining IS, and introduces an evolutionary approach. This paper
reconceptualizes Information Systems and demonstrates that it has evolved to be
part of an emerging discipline of fields, Informing Science.

The convergence and divergence of the fields of Information Science,
Information Technology, Document Management, Communication Studies and
Information Systems is one that contains to intrigue me.  The socially and
organisationally constructed academic silos within which we often work serve
separate contiguous areas; a lack of common understanding leads to frequent
duplication of work; and the fragmentation can prevent a vibrant collaborative
approach to complex problems.

A brief look at the Website for this Conference
(http://www.is2002.com/tracks.htm) suggests that an attempt is made here to
develop an interdiscplinary conversation, but this will only  be possible if
there is interdisciplinary interaction!

I am Track Chair for the stream "Informing and Communications Theory". I am
looking for presenters on any and all of the following themes:

 * Information systems as communications systems;
 * Understanding and using information mediated by technology;
 * The relationship between information and the act of informing;
 * The role of documents in communicating information;
 * The role of communication studies in the world of information management;
 * The intersections of technology, communication and technology;
 * The modification and enhancement of meaning through technology;
 * The state of being informed, and knowledge management;
 *  The construction of 'technology' in communication;
 and others.

The target date for your work is 14th December.  Please direct enquiries to me
or to the Program Chair, Betty Boyd (ProgramChair at is2002.com).  Information
about the conference and Submission guidelines can be found at the URL given
above.  You can submit your proposal at any of these URLs:

http://www.is2002.com/submissionpage.htm (US);
http://csweb.ucc.ie/is2002/submissionpage.htm (Ireland);
http://www.sistm.unsw.edu.au/conference/is2002/submissionpage.htm (Australia).

Thank you.

Sue Myburgh
Senior Lecturer and Program Director
Knowledge Management
Internet Communication Strategies

Foundation Director
Centre for Internet Studies

School of Communication, Information and New Media
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA
St Bernard's Road
Magill SA 5072
Adelaide, AUSTRALIA