[Air-l] AoIR communal data-database

Charlie Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Sun Nov 18 12:05:23 PST 2001

Yes, the "codebook" for the study should have all the metadata
necessary.  But are the codebooks searchable?  If the repository is of
any size at all, then it needs to be searchable.  Would you like to
read all the codebooks in order to see if there was any data you could
use?  If the codebooks are disassembled and placed in a database that
allows searching then the repository is very useful.  My guess is that
codebooks are idiosyncratic and of wildly varying quality.  This means
that the metadata would be incomplete in many cases.

This raises the issue of what the metadata should include.