[Air-l] CFP - Media Ecology Association Convention NYC June 21-23, 2002

J. Sternberg netberg at compuserve.com
Sun Nov 18 18:22:43 PST 2001

I'd like to invite AoIR folks to submit proposals for the
3rd Annual MEA Convention described below. Internet-related
topics certainly fall within the scope of MEA interests, and
there are quite a few media ecologists conducting research
in this realm. Both of our previous conventions included
panels with cyberspace themes, and it would be great to have
an Internet panel next year as well.

Janet Sternberg, Ph.D.
MEA Historian
New York University
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~js15

---------

Call for Papers
Third Annual Media Ecology Association Convention
Marymount Manhattan College, New York
June 21-23, 2002

* Are you interested in exploring the media environments in
New York City?

* Would you like to spend a coffee break debating the ideas
of Marshall McLuhan, Harold Innis, Walter Ong, Jacques Ellul
or Neil Postman?

* Is the history of technology and the culture of those who
use it as important to you as how it is currently being
used?

* Do you feel technology sometimes takes on a life of its
own?

* Are you interested in studying media literacy and media
education?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, or if you
just want to hang around with a group of people who answered
yes to every one of these questions, consider submitting a
paper to the Media Ecology Association Convention. People
are encouraged to submit topics in the areas suggested above
and also the following:

Special Topics:

* Who have we missed? Media Ecology has a familiar list of
scholars that are drawn upon, but what other thinkers from
what other fields could contribute to the interdisciplinary
nature of Media Ecology?

* As China has been picked as the host of the 2008 Olympics,
perhaps this should also signal to us to branch out
media-ecological analysis internationally.

Please submit research in the area of Media Ecology on
non-Western media practices, past and present, especially
Asian media.

* Submit a MEM (media ecology moment). Anyone who studies
media for a living notices moments in the real-world that
embody the ideas of what we study. We invite you to submit
the best MEM you have seen this year. Write it up,
illustrate with attached picture or video if you can.

* Participate in a roundtable discussion on bringing media
ecology into the classroom. You must submit a syllabus and
abstract.

* Students are encouraged to submit multimedia and video
work.

* Propose "untraditional" formats for presentation.

Inquires or submissions should be directed as follows:
Professor Laura Tropp
Communications Arts Department
Marymount Manhattan College
221 E. 71st Street
New York, NY 10021
Ltropp at mmm.edu
(212) 774-4868

Conference Coordinators:
David Linton, Chair, Humanities Division
Marymount Manhattan College
Laura Tropp, Assistant Professor
Marymount Manhattan College

Deadline for Submissions: Monday, February 4th, 2002

College housing may be available.

http://www.media-ecology.org