[Air-l] social capital and information seeking

Anabel Quan-Haase quanhaas at fis.utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 19 07:29:36 PST 2001

Thanks to all the helpful comments and pointers to resources--
just to clarify Jeremy's remark:
I am not including information seeking as part of social capital. What I
expect to find is that people who seek actively information (read the
news, go to libraries, subscribe to magazines) will also be the ones who
are more politically engaged. Putnam writes that information seeking
(or more precisely: people's interest in politics) has declined and that this
is an intracohort change (thus, younger people are the ones less inclined
to be interested in these matters). So, I am thinking that the web is a new
medium for acquiring information that could potentially serve to
counteract this trend, as young people tend to be more net savvy.
Thanks again and greetings from Toronto,

Many Regards,
         Anabel Quan Haase
 Ph.D. Student
 Faculty of Information Studies
 McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology
 University of Toronto
 140 St. George Street
 Toronto, Ontario
 M5S 3G6