[Air-l] online data archive

Eszter Hargittai eszter at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 10:56:17 PST 2001

Regarding the discussion about an online data archive, I thought the
following may be of interest:
http://www.webuse.umd.edu/data_analysis.htm

It's administered by the Webshop folks at UMaryland.  The idea is to
gather all sorts of Internet use related data sets and make them
available to wide use.  The data on this site are available via an
interface that allows for immediate analysis of the data.

Something potentially helpful that I have not seen yet would be a
detailed description of some of the larger data sets.  Codebooks are
nice, but they can take days to decode.  The Current Population Survey
of the Census is very well documented and all the computer and Internet
supplement data are available on the BLS Ferret Web site, but figuring
out all the screens (which are not consistent year-to-year for the four
supplements) can take several days.  However, once done, it's all
pretty straight forward. So it may be worth it to write up explanations
of the screening procedures and other basics of large data sets that
can then be used by others.  I'll keep you posted if I end up doing
this for the CPS.

Eszter

---
http://www.eszter.com