[Air-l] AoIR 2.0, Day 2

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Fri Oct 12 08:40:04 PDT 2001

Greetings:

Contrary to what John Logie notes about the weather in Minneapolis
for Monday, the day after the conference, yesterday and today are
bright, sunny and warm. And it would not be hyperbole to say that the
participants metaphorically match the weather. My impressions and
observations, idiosyncratic and biased as they may be, lead me to
believe that the conference this year is a marvelous continuation of
last year's, and for that I am grateful. I thank all of the
participants for the work they have done to create their
presentations and for the interactions that are extraordinarily
collegial, interdisciplinary, interesting and informative. The work
that John Logie and his colleagues at the University of Minnesota,
and Leslie Shade and her collaborators on the program committee, have
done, has clearly borne fruit and resulted in what I hope will be a
hallmark of AoIR conferences, namely a diverse, substantive and
engaging event.

The opening reception last night was terrific, and the sponsorship of
Unisys made it possible to have some much needed refreshments after a
long day of conference activity. The room in which it (and the
keynote speeches and some panels) was held provided a great
atmosphere, with a variety of angles leading to a vaulted ceiling, a
cascading waterfall at one end of the room, a fireplace, and an
ambience of openness that well characterized the conference.

As I write Sheizaf Rafaeli's keynote address is about to end, and we
have heard him present a marvelous overview of past work in CMC and
Internet research and a synopsis of his current work and interests.
The panels I have been able to attend (and I have attended quite a
few, but, unfortunately, none for a very long period of
time...there's quite a bit to look forward to after stepping down
from the presidency) have been quite similar to last year's in tone,
interaction and quality, and of course very different in terms of
presentations. I've never been to a conference that has brought
people together from such diverse disciplines and geographic areas
and where there is such willingness to learn from one another and to
help others understand one's own work and discipline.

There is a full day ahead of panels, discussions and interaction, and
it is certainly my hope that at some point in the future we will have
the resources to webcast or provide other means of participation for
those unable to be here. In the meantime, I encourage others at the
conference to post their impressions and observations and help fill
in the many empty spaces I have left open in my descriptions of the
goings-on at AoIR 2.0.

All best,
Sj