[Air-l] use of computers at conference - there will becomputers available!

Logie logie at tc.umn.edu
Tue Oct 2 14:08:42 PDT 2001

>--On Tuesday, October 02, 2001 4:00 PM +0200 Frank Schaap
><architext at fragment.nl> wrote:
>
>>A quick question for the organizers: would it be possible to make
>>use of the computer facilities of the university? And if so, is
>>there anyone on campus I could contact to get access? I just need a
>>browser and internet access to check my mail once in a while :)
>
>I'd like to second Frank's request.  At last year's conference,
>there was a bank of computers with Internet access that all of us
>could use. I'm very strongly hoping that something similar will be
>available this time.

Hi all -

We wouldn't dare strand you all without e-mail access! Here's the
pertinent information, which was somewhat buried in the general
notice on available technology we sent to all registrants. This "tech
room" will be a special facility set up for the purposes of the
conference, which should obviate the need for "guesting" in local
computer labs.

Is there a place I can practice the set up of my presentation?

A conference Email/Internet room will be available Thursday through
Sunday.  The iMacs will be in this room plus there will be two iBooks
practice stations for presenters to use.  The iBooks will have Zip
drives attached.  NOTE: Macs are now "floppy free." You'll need a Zip
disk or a presentation save to a CD-ROM to get data into these
machines.

What does the presentation space look like?

The conference sessions will take place in two buildings: the
University of Minnesota's McNamara Alumni Center (aka Gateway Center)
and the adjacent Radisson Hotel.
The following rooms and facilities will be used in the McNamara
Alumni Center - University of Minnesota Gateway facility.

      Memorial Hall - conference Registration Desk, keynote and
concurrent sessions
      A.I. Johnson - concurrent sessions
      Ski-U-Mah Room - concurrent sessions
      Gold Room - conference Internet/Email Center sponsored by Apple Computer
      Maroon Room - exhibits/book sales

The Radisson Hotel is half a block away from the McNamara Alumni
Center. Concurrent sessions will be held in two rooms, Nolte and
Rotary, on the second floor.

Go to these two links to view photos and floor plans of the space:

McNamara Alumni Center -  http://www.alumnicenter.umn.edu/
Radisson Metrodome Hotel - http://www.radisson.com/minneapolismn_metrodome

Best,

John Logie
Conference Coordinator, Internet Research 2.0
Department of Rhetoric
University of Minnesota