[Air-l] AoIR 2.0, Day 1

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:56:48 PDT 2001

Greetings from AoIR 2.0 at the University of Minnesota!

I will try to provide a daily report...call it an AoIRblog if you
will...but given the various demands on my time I can't promise much
depth to them or even that they'll be daily and regular.

In any event, it's my great pleasure to say that the conference has
begun without a hitch (or at least without one that I've seen!). John
Logie and his colleagues at the university have done a splendid job
of organizing things (including coordinating with Apple Computer for
a technology room and for a wireless network). And the program looks
terrific, due to Leslie Shade's hard work and the work of the program
committee. I'm very glad to see that attendance has remained strong
and the program has remained diverse and interesting. As was the case
last year it is difficult to choose among so many promising sessions!

As I said in my opening remarks this morning, this is the first
academic conference that I have been to since September 11. I had
never appreciated an academic conference quite so much, and I am more
grateful than ever for the colleagues, students, and friends who I
see. As my colleague and director of the Pew Internet & American Life
Project said in a USA TOday story published today (in which Kirsten
Foot, AoIR member and co-presenter at yesterday's well-attended
pre-conference workshop, was also quoted), "The Internet was all
about community and sharing" after the attacks last month. I think we
all know that the obverse is true as well -- community is not only on
the Internet. One of the greatest gifts we can give one another is to
simply be together, and I feel extraordinarily grateful that we have
been given that gift here at this conference, and via the medium of
air-l. I will hope that we can continue to meet year after year and
that all will have an opportunity to attend what has, after a scant
two years, become a terrific annual event.

Prof. Anita Allen's keynote speech started the conference by
encouraging us to think about the Internet in relation to law and
policy, the first round of concurrent sessions is under way, and
there is much more to come. Unfortunately I will not be able to
attend sessions in the way that I would were I not president of the
association, so it is for selfish reasons as well as unselfish ones
that I hope I can encourage other attendees to post their impressions
and observations on air-l or on the member web site as they have time.

My thanks again to our hosts at the University of Minnesota. Ski-U-Mah!

Yours,
Steve Jones
Sjj