[Air-l] Call for collaboration in an EU project on e-democracy

mboudour at upatras.gr mboudour at upatras.gr
Tue Oct 30 05:31:16 PST 2001

Dear all,

We are in the process of preparing a proposal for an EU RTD project on
e-democracy in Europe which will be submitted into the key action of the
5th FP called Improving Human Research Potential & the Socio-economic
Knowledge Base. The deadline of submission is January 15, 2002.

Those interested in joining the forming consortium are kindly invited to
contact me. Note that in the EU projects only organizations from the 15
European Union countries can participate.

In particular, we are interested in the third theme of the above mentioned
call whic is entitled:

	Citizenship, governance and the dynamics of European integration
	and enlargement

This covers research on the following issues:

	1. Relations between representative institutes and participatory
	   procedures, changing role of political parties, social
	   movements and NGOs, citizens involvement in economic and
	   political decisions and processes.

	2. Multi-level (local, regional, national, European and global)
	   governance issues in various policy fields (such as health,
	   labour standards, environment, organised crime etc.) in terms
	   of the accountability of European and international
	   institutions, assessments of constituencies and evaluations of
	   impacts.

	3. Assessment of changes in regulatory competences (including
	   public/private sectors differences), comparative analysis of
	   risk regulation, assessment of socio-economic impacts of
	   regulation.

	4. European citizenship's provisions analyses of legal, social,
	   cultural etc. iterpretation of 'rights' - the role of media -
	   new threads to established rights and their violation.

	5. Prevention and early warning of and resolution of conflicts
	   including analysis of causes, experiences of organisations and
	   various forms of European cooperation.

	6. Social, economic and cultural impacts of EU enlargement
	   including implications for welfare systems and for social and
	   economic cohesion and problems of integration.

A few months ago we had submitted a similar proposal to an IST call. That
proposal, called eGOIST, although it passed the evaluation, was not
finally funded because of last minute financial shortcuts.

The eGOIST proposal, which might be the basis of the new bid, is available
online at:

	http://nicomedia.math.upatras.gr/~mab/egoist/eGOISTproposal.pdf

Those (from EU countries) interested in participating at the new
e-democracy bid that we would like to submit to the January IHP call
should contact me and indicate their interests as well as their possible
contributions to the bid.

Best,

--Moses A. Boudourides
  Associate Professor