[Air-l] Writings On listserv materiality

Frank Schaap architext at fragment.nl
Thu Oct 18 01:20:33 PDT 2001

Robert asked:
> Does anyone know where I might find discussions regarding the materiality
> of a listserv -- as a thing unto itself? I'm looking for journal articles
> or academic books that deal with this idea. (It could also be a discussion
> involving websites or e-mail in general.)

You might want to have a look at Alan Sondheim's work (he co-started one of
the longer running mailinglists that has turned into a true online community,
Cybermind). His work is more artistic than scientific, but his groundings in
theory are solid. Much of his work deals with materiality, especially in
relation to online/electronic 'spaces,' the mailinglist being one of them.
Here are some URLs:

Internet text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html
Trace Projects at http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/index.htm
CDROM of collected work 1994-2000/1 available: write sondheim at panix.com

Cheers,

Frank.

--
The Cyberculture, Identity and Gender Resources
==> http://fragment.nl/resources/