[Air-l] Call4papers-Finland

Jonathan Lillie jlillie at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Oct 30 06:21:10 PST 2001

I am  organizing a session at the Crossroads in Cultural Studies
conference June 29-July 2 in Tampere, Finland.  I invite  both
grad students and faculty to submit papers; the session
listing is posted below. If you wish to submit to the session, email
a 150-word  abstracts of your paper, or full papers to me; papers are
due by Jan.  31. For more information about the conference, see the
Crossroads web site at  www.crossroads2002.com.
I see this within the context of working towards or discussing the
nature of a 'critical Internet Studies' per the round table talk at the
conference in Minneapolis.
--------------------
Doing Cultural Studies in Cyberspace

Considerations of communication technologies in modern cultures have been
instrumental in rise and development of Cultural Studies. Thus far,
however,  the scholarly response within Cultural Studies to analyzing
Internet  technologies has not been as strong or systematic as with (for
example)  television. Although a great deal of Internet- focused research
has been  multidisciplinary, a Cultural Studies approach has really not
been achieved  despite the fact that a recent wave of critical work aimed
at demystifying  the role of capitalism in controlling innovation,
distribution, and discourse  in regards to new media technologies can
perhaps be seen as a beginning. What  does Cultural Studies have to say
(and to do) regarding the growing presence  of Internet technologies in
the everyday lives of many people in communities  around the world? Papers
that explore the contextualities and contingencies  of Internet use and
those that explore the role of Cultural Studies in  rearticulating
'cyberculture studies' or 'cyberspace' in general are invited  for
participation in this panel.

Organiser:
Jonathan Lillie
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Journalism and
Mass Communication 129 Windsor Cir.
Chapel Hill
North Carolina, USA 27516
E-mail: jlillie at email.unc.edu