[Air-l] List of Mailing Lists

Joan Korenman korenman at umbc.edu
Fri Oct 19 06:05:27 PDT 2001

--On Thursday, October 18, 2001 7:27 PM -0400 Zunt at aol.com wrote:

>> I would be interested in identifying resources for 'lists' of
>> mailing lists.
>
> The only one I know about is Catalist:
>
> http://www.lsoft.com/catalist.html
>
> It is incomplete, insofar as it is limited to public lists that use
> L-Soft  software (LISTSERV).

In addition to Catalist (which, as has been noted, includes only
L-Soft lists, I know of the following (listed in no particular order):

Publicly Accessible Mailing Lists (Stephanie DaSilva)
http://paml.alastra.com/indexes.html
This is indexed by Subject and by List Name

Tile Net
http://tile.net/lists/

Directory of Scholarly and Professional E-Conferences (Diane Kovacs)
http://www.kovacs.com/directory.html
In the process of relocating.  In the past, this has been updated
only once a year, I think, but it includes more info than some of the
other listings.

The listing that used to be most comprehensive and up-to-date was
Liszt, but the guy who created it eventually turned it over/sold out
to Topica ( http://www.topica.com/ ).  Topica provides lots of
listings, but it's not nearly as impressive as Liszt used to be.

And then, of course, there's Yahoo Groups (formerly E-groups formerly
One List): http://groups.yahoo.com/ .  This lists only Yahoo groups,
but there are zillions of them.  They come and go very quickly, but
some have been around for years.  Searchable.

Also, the searchable archives of NEW-LIST may yield some relevant
lists: http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/new-list.html .

I might also mention that for women-related lists, you might try my
Gender-Related Electronic Forums: http://www.umbc.edu/wmst/forums.html
It includes information about more than 600 such lists and includes a
section on Cyberculture/Internet Info.

	Joan

        Joan Korenman, Director
        Center for Women & Information Technology
        Baltimore, MD 21250  USA
        korenman at umbc.edu
        http://www.umbc.edu/cwit/