[Air-l] Survey Methodology on the WWW

Stuart Offenbach stuartio at purdue.edu
Wed Oct 31 12:02:08 PST 2001

John and others,

There are some sources for you to look at in addition to the AAAS report on
Internet Research.

Azar, Beth,  Monitor on Psychology, April • 2000 • Volume 31 • Number 4 (A Web of
research  They're fun, they're fast and they save money, but do Web experiments
yield quality results?)

Siang, Sanyin, Researching ethically with human subjects in cyberspace.
Professional Ethics Report, Vol XII, #4, Fall, 1999 Online at
http://www.aaas.org/spp/dspp/sfrl/per/archives.htm

Privacy and Ethics Survey among Computer Professionals by Frank Maldacker, Pace
University and Stuart A. Varden, Pace University February, 1997

Books

Birnbaum, M.H. (Ed.). (2000). "Psychological Experiments on the Internet." San
Diego: Academic Press.   (A group of chapters that deal with comparability and
other issues, some of this is quite good)

Birnbaum, M.H. (2000). "Introduction to Behavioral Research on the Internet."
Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice-Hall. (A methods text with a CD of examples and
software, no chapter on ethics)

Mann, C., & Stewart, F. (2000).  Internet communication and qualitative
research: A handbook for researching online.  Sage Publications.  (Has an
interesting
chapter on the ethical framework of online research.  Probably the most relevant
information).