[Air-l] copyright considerations

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Mon Sep 3 08:54:30 PDT 2001

While copyright is a concern, it is not considered, at least in the
U.S., a principles that directly guides research ethics. In the U.S.,
at least, most (if not all) human subjects research at universities
is governed by The Belmont Report (Ethical Principles and Guidelines
for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research, The National
Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and
Behavioral Research, April 18, 1979 (see
http://ohrp.osophs.dhhs.gov/humansubjects/guidance/belmont.htm). To
quote from the report, its basic principles are:

"1. Respect for Persons. -- Respect for persons incorporates at least
two ethical convictions: first, that individuals should be treated as
autonomous agents, and second, that persons with diminished autonomy
are entitled to protection. The principle of respect for persons thus
divides into two separate moral requirements: the requirement to
acknowledge autonomy and the requirement to protect those with
diminished autonomy."

[stuff deleted]

"2. Beneficence. -- Persons are treated in an ethical manner not only
by respecting their decisions and protecting them from harm, but also
by making efforts to secure their well-being. Such treatment falls
under the principle of beneficence. The term "beneficence" is often
understood to cover acts of kindness or charity that go beyond strict
obligation. In this document, beneficence is understood in a stronger
sense, as an obligation. Two general rules have been formulated as
complementary expressions of beneficent actions in this sense: (1) do
not harm and (2) maximize possible benefits and minimize possible
harms."

[stuff deleted]

"3. Justice. -- Who ought to receive the benefits of research and
bear its burdens? This is a question of justice, in the sense of
"fairness in distribution" or "what is deserved." An injustice occurs
when some benefit to which a person is entitled is denied without
good reason or when some burden is imposed unduly. Another way of
conceiving the principle of justice is that equals ought to be
treated equally. However, this statement requires explication. Who is
equal and who is unequal? What considerations justify departure from
equal distribution? Almost all commentators allow that distinctions
based on experience, age, deprivation, competence, merit and position
do sometimes constitute criteria justifying differential treatment
for certain purposes. It is necessary, then, to explain in what
respects people should be treated equally. There are several widely
accepted formulations of just ways to distribute burdens and
benefits. Each formulation mentions some relevant property on the
basis of which burdens and benefits should be distributed. These
formulations are (1) to each person an equal share, (2) to each
person according to individual need, (3) to each person according to
individual effort, (4) to each person according to societal
contribution, and (5) to each person according to merit."

All of these principles can be considered in relation to copyright,
at least insofar as whether it be texts or web sites or what have
you, the material in question is the work of a human being. However,
these are principles, and can therefore only give us guidance. They
are interpreted in particular ways, such interpretations also being,
in their enacting into laws, rules, etc., subject to the unequal
distribution of power. Moreover, they are applied in particular
contexts. Both copyright law and guidelines for ethical research
differ from place to place and country to country. That's an issue
not only because Internet use doesn't conform easily to those
boundaries, but also because Internet research doesn't conform to
them so easily, either.

Sj