[Air-l] Re: product placecment

Danyel Fisher danyelf at acm.org
Wed Sep 5 13:22:56 PDT 2001

I've been thinking about this set of issues for a while.

I'm actually in favor of novel sponsorship. In a several hundred page book,
a woman used the word Bulgari a dozen times? That's possibly a lot less an
effect than, say, the size of your average Renassiance Patron crouched in
the background. Additionally, she's fairly open abuot the fact that she's
sponsored. (Go try to find out who was responsible for product placements in
a movie some time.)

That, and I'm not looking for unbiased text in a novel.

For that matter, my family has been very happily praying, every Passover,
out of a Haggadah published by a major coffee company. [1]

--

Textbooks would worry me. We already know about the effects of advertising
in magazines, and periodically, we find a scandal about it. "You propose

Would a "textbook brought to you by the Tobacco Council for Healthy Lungs"
really cover all the topics we expect in the cardiopulmonary referneces?
Unconscious bias is a dangerous thing.

I'm not so naive to believe in the true independance of schoarly knowledge:
there are texts that a publisher will both modify quiet internal interests
and that still cost too much money. I suppose, when it comes down to it,
that I prefer to be naive, my bias implicit. Which raises interesting
issues: if I knew the bias upfront ("The Crass Marketing Movie Triumph of
the Decade!") perhaps I would feel better about having sponsored texts.

Or would this lead to a sponsorship divide, where wealthier people would be
able to purchase less-biased material than poorer people?

Any way you slice it, PR people are still important.

Danyel
---

[1] Which has made its sponsorship both a cherished tradition, as mentioned
in passing at
http://aish.com/holidays/passover/articles/hot_air.asp and illustrated at
http://www.jewishwomenexhibit.org/inside10.asp
and controversial