[Air-l] re: network analysis programs

Willard Uncapher wuncapher at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 26 10:25:58 PDT 2001

At 01:08 PM 9/25/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm trying to learn more about network analysis statistical programs. I
>want to know which are used most often, which are Window-oriented,
>limitations to various programs, etc.

There is a general, older page on social network analysis software:
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/project/INSNA/soft_inf.html (part of the
International Network for Social Network Analysis-
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/project/INSNA/  ).  While I've known people who
used such software (eg., Negopy), I am not particularly knowledgeable.
Further the appropriateness, cost, and robustness of any particular
software can vary between different tasks.

Barry Wellman's group and network would be knowledgeable (and he has a fine
publications page
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/index.html ).

Nine theoretical wrinkles of your mathematical situation:  1. defining and
locating 'actors/actants/nodes' for your data; 2. relating 'mere'
connectedness and centrality within networks to power over and in a
network; 3. considering networks in networks (from my perspective any
'node' is itself a network); 4. relating links at the level of parts or at
the level of super-sets to those which do not occur at the level of study,
and vice versa; 5. clarifying the way the 'collection' of the data,
particularly where it is 'easy' foregrounds certain questions over others;
6. Deciding whether to distinguish networks based on content, media,
frequency, etc. or to combine them as a unitary network; 7. Determining or
accounting for what is missing from the network (temporary autonomous
situations/zones, hidden links, sensitive links, etc.); 8. Conversely,
setting a value for what might be in or constituting a link in a network
based on play, mistake, or other indeterminancies (other than eliminating
it as noise); and importantly, 9.  defining/deconstructing the boundary or
level of the study, although boundary conditions can simply be asserted,
often by someone evincing a perspective from 'outside' the network, even if
they also 'belong' to it - the notion of 'deconstruction' is very much
meant here.  How one answers those questions will have a great impact on
where and how the statistics are collected, and on what the statistics
produce, what they reveal, and how they are interpreted.

Good luck!   Willard

Willard Uncapher, Ph.D. / Ctr. for Technocultural Studies / UC, Davis /
willard at well.com