[Air-l] quoting from public websites

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Sun Sep 2 04:50:00 PDT 2001

Upon reading a few articles on copyright and web materials I've become
confused. On the one hand, specific sections of US copyright law indicates
that *any* expression that has *any* permanent form (including web pages,
E-mails, etc.) should be considered copyrighted/copyrightable. On the other
hand, isn't the purpose of copyright to protect *valuable* property--that is,
property whose unauthorized use will deprive its creator of some income? *If*
this is part of copyright, then does/should copyright extend to stuff that has
no commercial purpose/intent--something that describes most E-mails and
personal web pages? I suspect there is no answer to this till it gets tested
in court, but I'd be interested in any expert opinions.
--Christian Nelson